Alice Mable Shinn (1898-1988)
|Alice Mable Shinn Burgess|
|Born:||4 Mar 1898 Baroda, Michigan|
|Died:||28 Feb 1988 Hastings, Michigan|
|Father:||John Edward Shinn|
|Mother:||Sarah A. Thompson|
Della V. Shinn|
Samuel Smallwood Shinn
Mary Elizabeth Shinn
Minnie M. Shinn
Alice Mable Shinn
Fancheon F. Shinn
Kenneth Wallace Shinn
|Spouse:||Franklin Keiser Burgess|
|Married:||5 Dec 1920 Bliss Twp., Michigan|
Franklin D. Burgess|
Sarah Jane Burgess
Petoskey News-Review, Tuesday, March 1, 1988
Former Bliss resident Alice M. Burgess, 89, died Feb. 28, 1988, at Thornapple Manor in Hastings.
Funeral will be at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, March 5, at the Schiller Funeral Chapel in Pellston. The Rev. Martin Alexander will officiate and burial will be in Bliss Township Cemetery.
The former Alice M. Shinn was born March 4, 1898, in Baroda, Mich., the daughter of John and Sarah Shinn. She moved to the Bliss area with her family at the age of 5 and attended Bliss School. She received a teaching certificate from Ferris State College and taught school in Northern Michigan and the Barry County area for 24 years. She retired in 1967.
On Dec. 5, 1921, she married Franklin K. Burgess and the couple moved to Freeport from Grand Rapids in 1928. Mr. Burgess preceded her in death in November, 1976.
Mrs. Burgess was a member of the Freeport United Brethren in Christ Church, the Women's Missionary Association, the Ferris Alumni Association, the National Education Association, and the Michigan Education Association.
She is survived by: one son, Franklin D. Burgess of Jackson; one daughter, Mrs. Sarah Jane Justus of Charles City, Iowa; six grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Francheon Dopp of Springfield, Ill.; one brother, Kenneth Shinn of Harbor Springs.
She was preceded in death by three sisters and one brother.
The family suggests memorials to the Freeport United Brethren in Christ Church, Freeport, Mich.
Friends may call at the Schiller Funeral Chapel from 10 a.m. Saturday until time of service.
- 1910 Federal Census, Bliss Emmet, Michigan
- Shinn, John
- , Alice M., daughter, white, female, 12, single, MI, OH, OH
- Marriage: Emmet County, Michigan, Vital Records Search, Marriages:
- Burgess, Franklin K. & Shinn, Alice M.
- Date of Marriage: 12/5/1920
- Liber: 4
- Folio: 24
- Marriage: Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Groom's Name: Franklin K. Burgess
- Groom's Age: 28 years
- Groom's Birth Date: 1892
- Groom's Birthplace: Michigan
- Bride's Name: Alice M. Shinn
- Bride's Age: 22 years
- Bride's Birth Date: 1898
- Bride's Birthplace: Michigan
- Marriage Date: 05 Dec 1920
- Marriage Place: Petoskey, Emmet, Michigan
- Groom's Father: Myron Burgess
- Groom's Mother: Ida J. Turner
- Bride's Father: John Shinn
- Bride's Mother: Sarah Thompson
- Film Number: 2342736
- Digital Folder Number: 4209975
- Image Number: 452
- Reference Number: v 2 p 270 rn 161
- Burial: Greenwood Cemetery Index, Petoskey, Michigan:
- Burgess, Alice M. (Shinn)
- Age: 86
- Born: 3/4/1898
- Died: 2/28/1988
- Burial: 0/0/0000
- Cemetery: Bliss Township, Bliss
- Obituary: on file