Asher Smith Durkee (1806-1887)
|Asher Smith Durkee|
|Born:||3 Apr 1806 Sennett, New York|
|Died:||22 Apr 1887 Havana, New York|
|Father:||Andrew William Durkee|
David Otis Durkee
John Thompson Durkee
Asher Smith Durkee
Evaline S. Durkee
|Married:||3 Apr 1832 New York|
He married Elizabeth Lee on April 3, 1832 in New York.
Asher died April 22, 1887 at Havana, Schuyler, New York.
From his FindAGrave Memorial Page:
Mr. Asher Smith Durkee of Havana died April 22d, 1887, after a brief illness, aged 81 years and 19 days
Mr. Durkee was born April 3d, 1800, in the town of Brutus, Cayuga county N.Y. At the age of nineteen he experienced religion and united with the Presbyterian church at Ithaca , where he was engaged with a Mr. Esty learning the tanning business. In 1829 he came to Havana, united with the First Presbyterian church of this place, where he remained an efficient member and a firm and zealous advocate of the temperance cause to the time of his death. In 1832 Mr. Durkee married Elizabeth Lee, daughter of David an d Susan Lee. Three children were born to them— Emma Lee, William Lorain and Frances Lovina. Frances died October 6th, 1830. He was the last and youngest of four brothers. He has one sister who survives him, Eveline Crane, living In Ohio. His first wife Elizabeth Lee , died in 1850. He afterwards married Eunice Lee , daughter of Daniel and Sarah Lee, who died in March 1872. Eventually he married Ann E. Blakesley, daughter of Samuel and Mary Blakesley , and widow o f James Sturdeyant, December 25th, 1872.
MAY 21 , 1887 Havan Journal
three marriages: Elizabeth Lee Eunice Lee Ann (Blakesley) Sturdeyant
- Funeral Book Records, Havana, NY - p. 1-12 [Montour Cemetery]
- Early Burials in the Town of Montour Area.
- Compiled by Helena Howard & JoAnn Sgrecci. [Typed by L.Z.O.]
- Asher S. DURKEE
- Buried: 23 Apr 1887
- Lot: 7-4-
- Age: 81yr, married
- Residence: Havana
- Died: Havana on 22 Apr 1887 of old age,
- Undertaker: S. Pike: [Asher Smith DURKEE; his wife, Elizabeth, d. 2 June 1850, age 39y-6m-2d.]
- Havana, NY History Book: Index of Names
- A. S., Asher S., Asher Smith, Charles O., Elizabeth (Lee),
- John T., Lucy (Mosher), Susan M., William L., Wilmina A.
- [Bio info on William L.]
- The History of Schuyler co., NY (pub. abt. 1885)
- Montour Township and Havana Village (p243-246)
- 1999--These pages are part of the Schuyler co., NY Genweb page. Not for commercial use.
- Patrons of Temperance of Havana, organized January 12, 1878. A.S. Durkee, W.S.; R.T. Dearborn, W.P.; Susan Stotenburg, secretary; G. Thompson, treasurer.
- Havana Division No. 55, Sons of Temperance organized Sept. 1, 1878. Rev. I. Hendricks, W.P.; R. Burchfield, W.A.; P. Hendricks, R.S.; R. Ershine, F.S.; A.S. Durkee, T.
- Family Records of Joanne Heinz Howse.