Amos Ward Abbey (1837-1920)
|Amos Ward Abbey|
|Born:||16 Aug 1837 Derby, Vermont|
|Died:||20 Jan 1920 Bay View, Michigan|
|Siblings:||Amos Ward Abbey|
|Spouse:||Silvia Jane Pelton|
Amos Eugene Abbey|
Ada Ward Abbey
Petoskey Evening News, Wednesday, January 21, 1920:
Aged Civil War Veteran Answers Last Roll Call
Funeral Thursday Afternoon From Stone's Chapel and Burial In Greenwood
Amos W. Abbey, of Bay View Road, who came to Northern Michigan in 1876, died at his home Tuesday, January 20, from pneumonia from which he had been suffering for several days.
Mr. Abbey was born at Derby, Vermont, August 16th, 1837. During the Civil war he served his country, being a member of Company G, 7th Michigan regiment.
He married Sylva J. Pelton, at Byron Center, Kent county, December 18th,1866 and resided in that section for several years before coming to Northern Michigan. He located in Springvale township in the early days and resided there until about 1890 when he moved to Petoskey. Later he located at Bay View and went into the transfer business.
He leaves one son, Eugene Abbey. There were eight grandchildren, and eight great grand children.
Funeral at 2 o'clock Thursday afternoon from Stone's Chapel.
Services in charge of Rev. G. A. Weaver.
Burial in Greenwood Cemetery.
- Marriage: Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Groom's Name: A. W. Abbey
- Groom's Birth Date: 1838
- Groom's Age: 28
- Bride's Name: Sylvia J. Pelton
- Bride's Birth Date: 1849
- Bride's Age: 17
- Marriage Date: 18 Dec 1866
- Marriage Place: Byron, Kent, Michigan
- Bride's Race: White
- Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M51851-2
- System Origin: Michigan-EASy
- Source Film Number: 926723
- Reference Number: p1
- 1900 Federal Census, Bear Creek Twp., Emmet, Michigan
- Abbey, A. W., head, male, white, b. Aug 1837, married 33 yrs., Vermont, VT, VT
- , Silvery J., wife, female, white, b. Jan 1850, md. 33 yrs., 7 kids, 1 alive, MI, NY, NY
- , Eugene, son, male, white, b. Sep 1873, married 3 yrs., MI, VT, MI
- , Ada W., daughter, female, white, b. Feb 1886, single, MI, PA, MI
- , Harriet J., daughter in law, female, white, b. Dec 1871, married 3 yrs. 1 child 0 alive, MI, MI, MI
- , Elmer W., grandson, male, white, b. Jan 1899, single, MI, MI, MI
- Death: Emmet County, Michigan, Vital Records Search, Deaths:
- Abbey, Amos
- Date of Death: 1/20/1920
- Liber: 3
- Folio: 13
- Place of Death: Bear Creek Township
- Burial: Greenwood Cemetery Index, Petoskey, Michigan:
- Abbey, Amos Ward
- Age: 82
- Born: 8/16/1837
- Died: 1/20/1920
- Burial: 1/22/1920
- Cemetery: Greenwood, Petoskey
- Obituary: on file
- Section: D
- Block: 18
- Lot: 12
- Military: Civil War