Chauncey F. Howse (1846-1909)
|Chauncey F. Howse|
Evergreen Hills Cemetery
|Born:||24 Jan 1846 Dereham, Ontario, Canada|
|Died:||20 May 1909 Vanderbilt, Michigan|
|Father:||James J. House|
Chauncey F. Howse
Rebecca Jane House
|Spouse:||Eva Angeline Reynolds|
|Married:||19 Jul 1874 Sanilac Co., Michigan|
James Lemuel Howse|
Edith Emily Howse
Finley Orville Howse
Earnest R. Howse
Blanche E. Howse
Maybelle Maud Howse
Vanderbilt Times, Friday, May 28, 1909:
Passed Away Suddenly at
His Home on Thursday
of Last Week--
The sudden death of Chauncey Howse has cast a gloom over the entire neighborhood. He was slightly ill for a few days and he called Dr. Winer to prescribe for him and the doctor said on Wednesday he was not seriously ill, only a slight cold. On Thursday morning his little grandson, Lloyd Howse found him dead on the kitchen floor. The doctor was called and pronounced it heart failure. He was 63 years old. His wife died on the 15th of March and he on the 20 of May. He leaves to mourn his loss 5 children namely James L. Howse and Mrs. H. Gawne and Orville and Mrs. Nate Snell and Miss Mabel at home. They are all settled in Corwith except Mrs. B. Gawne who lives at Flint, Mich., but she came home at the summons. Rev. Terhune officiated at the funeral which was held Sunday, May 23, under the direction of the Maccabee order. He was very lonely after the death of his wife. United in life, in death not long apart.
The roll was called from the book of life,
- Each answered to their name.
Be they of high or lowly birth,
- It is written there the same.
On Wednesday night another name
- The angel write with care.
We look, and lo, behold we see
- The name that's written there.
O, can it be that Chancy Howse
- Is the name he wrote that night?
Recording angel tell us now,
- With letters pure and bright,
Kind angel, did you bid him come?
- You saw he was alone,
His wife's fair name was on that page
- To guide him safely home.
His wife's name on that spotless page,
- Was placed two months before,
And not they pause to write his name
- Ere they pass through the open door.
St. Peter who guards the golden gate,
- Smiles now serene and high;
He says now enter your well earned rest,
- Together in the sky.
Mr. Lemuel Howse of Sanilac Co. in now visiting relatives. He was called to attend the funeral of his brother, C. Howse.
Mr. and Mrs. Gawne of Flint, Mich., attended Mr. Howse's funeral.
- 1851 Canada West Census, Twp. of Dereham, County of Oxford, ED 2, page 57, Line 31-41:
- Jas House
- Chancy House, ----, b. Canada W., New Co Methodist, 7, male, single
- 1861 Canada West Census, Twp. of Dereham, County of Oxford, ED 4, page 92, lines 41-46:
- J. House
- C. House, Labourer, b. U Canada, NC Methodist, 13, male
- 1870 Federal Census, Buell, Sanilac, Michigan, page 5, 36/36, 22 Jun 1870:
- House, James
- , Charles, 24, male, farm laborer, Canada
- Marriage: Sanilac County Michigan Marriage Records
- 1880 Federal Census, Elk tp., Sanilac, Michigan 23 June 1880, p. 24, 205/212:
- House, Chancy, white, male, 34, farmer, Canada, New York, Canada
- , Angelin, white, female, 21, wife, keeping house, Canada, Canada, Canada
- , James, white, male, 4, son, Michigan, Canada, Canada
- , Edith, white, female, 2, dau, Michigan, Canada, Canada
- 1900 Federal Census, Corwith Tp., Otsego, Michigan, ED 142, Sheet 8, line 1, 26 June 1900, 179/179:
- Howse, Chauncey F., male, white, Jan 1846, 54, Canada, farmer
- , Angeline R., wife, Jan 1859, 41, Michigan, 6 kids 5 alive, md 25
- , Orville F., son, Nov 1880, 19, Michigan
- , Blanch E., daughter, Apr 1885, 15, Michigan
- , Mabel M., daughter, Apr 1888, 12, Michigan
- Portrait and Biographical Album of Sanilac County, 1884, p. 313:
- Finley House lists him as a brother.