Elisha Bascom (1738-1776)
|Lieutenant Elisha Bascom|
|Christened:||4 Feb 1738 West Springfield, Massachusetts|
|Died:||18 Sep 1776 Ticonderoga, New York|
|Married:||6 May 1762 Southampton, Massachusetts|
Harris, Edward Doubleday. Genealogical Record of Thomas Bascom and His Descendants, p. 56:
Elisha Bascom, second son of Johnathan, b. at Southampton, in 1739; m. (pub. April 10) 1772, Lucy, dau. of Isarel and Naomi Sheldon, of S. He lived at Southampton, and enlisted from there in the Revolutionary war, as a lieutenant of volunteers. He died at Ticonderoga, N.Y., in the service, Sept. 18, 1776.
- Christening: NEHGS. Vital Records of West Springfield, Massachusetts, vol. 1, Births, p. 27:
- "BASCOM, Elisha s. Jonathan of New Hampton, bp. Feb 4 1738-39"
- [from records of the First Congregational Church in West Springfield]
- Marriage: Trumbull, James R. History of Northampton; Northampton Genealogies, Vol. 3, Pt. 1, page 52.
- Marriage: Lederer. Vital Records of the town of Southampton, Massachusetts, 1740-1940, p. 130.
- Intentions published: 10 Apr 1762.
- Military Service: Trumbull, James Russell. History of Northampton, Massachusetts, from its settlement in 1654, vol II, p. 386:
- "They were mustered in July 19th, and the term of service ended December 19th. Joseph Lyman of Northampton was Captain; Elisha Bascom of Southampton, Lieut.; John Dickinson of Hatfield, Ens.; Benjamin Reed of Chesterfield, Abner Lyman and Solomon Allan of Northampton, sergts. They marched to Ticonderoga, remained all the time in tents near the fort, were engaged in building redoubts, etc., but were not called into action. Seven men died, viz.:-Lieut. Elisha Bascom of Southampton, Asahel Judd, son of Samuel, Barzillai Brewer, and John Riley of Northampton, Eli Danks and John Pomeroy of Southampton, and Levi Ludden of Williamsburg."
- Probate: Hampshire County, Massachusetts, Probate Index:
- Box 11 No 53
- Probate: FHL Film #879190: Hampshire County, Massachusetts, Probate Records, vol. 13, 1768-1784, p. 325:
- "Power of Administration on all and singular the Goods Chattels Rights & Credits of the Estate of Elisha Bascom late of Southampton in the County of Hampshire Dec'd is granted unto Lucy Bascom and Bond is taken for her faithfull discharge of sd Trust August First 1780."
- FHL Film #186169: Sardis Chapman Manuscript, Southampton, Massachusetts, vol. I, pp. 10, 12:
- "He was a soldier in the war of the Revolution, died at Ticonderoga, Sep 18th, 1776 in the 38th year of his age."