Elizabeth Arnot (1838-1907)
|Elizabeth Arnot Vannest|
|Born:||3 Oct 1838 Oshawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Died:||12 Dec1907 Croswell, Michigan|
|Father:||Robert J. Arnot|
Cephas W. Arnot
Silas S. Arnot
George E. Arnot
Phoebe J. Arnot
|Married:||24 Jun 1855 Sanilac Co., Michigan|
Sarah Jane VanNest|
John Winfield VanNest
Elizabeth E. VanNest
Phoebe Arvilla VanNest
Cephas Arnot VanNest
Emma Maude VanNest
The Sanilac Jeffersonian, December 1907:
Mrs. Elizabeth Arnot Van Nest was born near Oshawa, Ontario, Oct. 3, 1838, died at her home in Croswell, December 12, 1907, aged 69 years, 2 months and 9 days. She was the daughter of Robert J. Arnot and Sarah Hall Arnot. June 24th, 1855 she was united in marriage with Barney Van Nest who passed away May 26, 1906. Eight children, five daughters and three sons survive her.
Mrs. Van Nest was an amiable Christian lady, highly respected and greatly beloved by her family. She had been ill for about 22 months, and the last five weeks of her life she suffered intense pain and distress. The close of her life was one of peace and trust in her maker. At the funeral which was held Dec. 14, at the M.E. church, Rev. W.J. Cain officiated, and the interment was made in the Croswell cemetary.
- Marriage: Michigan Marriages 1822-1995:
- Groom's Name: Barney Vannest
- Groom's Age: 27
- Bride's Name: Elizabeth Arnot
- Bride's Age: 17
- Marriage Date: 24 Jun 1855
- Marriage Place: Lexington Twp., Sanilac County, Michigan
- Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I09960-2
- System Origin: Michigan-EASy
- Source Film Number: 14828
- Reference Number: 56
- Marriage: Sanilac County Marriages, 1849-1869, p. 56:
- VanNest, Barney, aged 27 of Lexington and Arnot, Elizabeth, aged 17 of Lexington. June 24th - In testimony where of I have hereunto set my hand this 24th day of June, 1855.
- William Degeer, Christian Minister.
- James Degeer, Lexington
- James Arnot, Lexington
- Rec'd for Record August 24, 1855; Wixson.
- The Canadian Statesman, September 14, 1892, p. 5:
- The following taken from the Lexington, Mich., Jeffersonian will interest a number of our readers as Mr. Arnot was once a resident of Darlington and is an uncle to Mr. Albert Arnot of Enniskillen and Mssrs Jesse, Levi and John Arnot of Taunton. "For a number of years it has been the custom of Mr. R. J. Arnot to have a family gathering on the anniversary of his birth. At these gatherings only his own children are admitted, no grandchildren or other relatives allowed.
- On Saturday last, however, occurred a picnic, at which all the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren were allowed to be present, on this occasion there were present Mrs. Barny Vannest and eight children, of Croswell, Mr. Ira Arnot and five children, of Lexington, Mr. Cephas Arnot and seven children, of Croswell, Mr. Silas Arnot and two children, of Jeddo, Mr. George Arnot and four children, of Lexington, and Mrs. W. O. Randall, of Pt. Huron, making all six children and twenty-six grandchildren; there were also present six great- great grandchildren. The family seems unbroken as not a single death has occurred in more than twenty years. These picnics will be held annually. As a souvenir of the occasion last Saturday Mr. Arnot presented each one with a dollar.
- Death: State of Michigan, Certificate of Death:
- Name: Elizabeth Arnot Vannest
- Date of Death: Dec. 12, 1907
- Place of Death: Croswell, Sanilac, Michigan
- Gender: Female
- Color: White
- Marital Status: Widowed
- Age when first married: 17 years
- Parent of 10 children of whom 8 are living
- Date of Birth: Oct. 3, 1838
- Age: 69 years 2 months 9 days
- Occupation: House Keeper
- Birthplace of Decedent: Ont. Canada
- Father: Robert J. Arnot
- Father’s birth place: Canada
- Mother: Sarah Hall
- Mother’s birth place: Canada
- Informant: John Vannest, Croswell Mich.
- Burial date and place: Croswell, Dec. 14, 1907
- Undertaker: R W West, Croswell
- Date filed: Dec 14, 1907
- Registrar: Jessie S Niles
- Date last seen alive: Dec 12, 1907
- Date attended deceased: Nov 25, 1907 to Dec 12, 1907
- Time death occurred: 10 a.m.
- Cause of death: Obstruction to Gall Duct
- Name and address of Physician: D. J. McCall MD, Dec 13, 1907, Croswell
- Richardson, Debbie. Descendants of Michael VanNest:
- 1849, Moved to Michigan from Canada