Joseph Barnes Payne (1840-1911)
|Joseph Barnes Payne|
Uncle Joe Payne
|Born:||7 Sep 1840 Arrington, England|
|Died:||30 Mar 1911 Salt Lake City, Utah|
Joseph Barnes Payne
Mary Ann Payne
Samuel Payne III
|Spouse:||Harriet Eliza McBride|
|Married:||1860 Fillmore, Utah|
Annah Mary Pugh|
William Porter Payne
Baby Boy Payne
Alice Maude Payne
The Progress Review, Millard County, Utah, Friday, March 31, 1911, p. 7:
We are sorry to learn that Dr. Middleton, who operated on Joseph Payne at the L.D.S. Hospital last week, doesn't hold out much hope for his recovery. His friends all hope to see him return home soon, completely restored to health.
The Progress Review, Millard County, Utah, Friday, March 31, 1911, p. 8:
Word was received yesterday that Joseph Payne passed away at the L.D.S. Hospital Wednesday, he had been operated on and the shock proved to great for his enfeebled constitution. The remains will arrive to-day, funeral will probably be held tomorrow.
The Progress Review, Millard County, Utah, Friday, April 7, 1911, p. 1:
Funeral Services over the remains of Mr. Joseph Payne, who had died in the L.D.S. Hospital at Salt Lake City Thursday last week, were held in the Fillmore Chapel Sunday afternoon. The large auditorium was filled to overflowing by friends and neighbors by whom the departed pioneer was held in high esteem, and known as a most desirable citizen. He was a man of excellent habits, fine moral character, honest and honorable in his deals and conversation with his fellows, peaceable, patient and agreeable, a model husband and father, and one of the best of neighbors. He was a man who united sound sense with strong will power. He was no weakling as shown by the fact that while he had been a user of tobacco till some years ago, when he concluded that it was a bad habit, and said to himself, I will not be a slave to any band and unclean habit, and he quit it, just quietly let it alone. Altho Mr. Payne was a member of no church, his pure and honorable life placed him far above many a professed christian.
The funeral services were conducted by Bishop P. L. Brunson. The opening prayer was offered by James A. Kelly, and benediction was pronounced by Christian Anderson. The speakers were Francis M. Lyman, F. A. Robison, J. V. Robison, T. C. Callister and Bishop Brunson.
Beautiful music and singing was rendered by the ward choir.
The speakers all testified to the splendid upright character of the deceased.
Mr. Joseph Payne was born of Mormon parents in Nauvoo, Sept. 7, 1840. His father died when he was 5 years old, his mother when he was 7 years old. He came to Utah in the year 1851, and was one of the pioneers of Fillmore, where he married Harriet McBride in the year 1860, who preceded him a short time ago to the spirit world. He leaves three children, 12 grand children and four great grand children. The children are Mrs. Josephine Greenwood, Mrs. Maud Hanson and William P. Payne.
We desire to thank all friends and neighbors who so kindly rendered assistance during the recent illness and demise of our dear father and grandfather, Joseph Payne.
- Name variations: Pane [1860 census]
- Paine [1870 census]
- Day, Stella H., ed. Builders of Early Millard, pp. 290, 313.
- LDS Family Group Records Collection (Archive Section)
- Submitter: Della Dame Edmunds
- Family of: John Marius Hanson & Maude Payne
- McBride, Virginia. Charles R. McBride Memorial, p. 20.
- Day, Stella Huntsman. Everything is Relative, p. 93
- Birth: Calculated from death information.
- 1860 Federal Census, Fillmore City, Millard County, Utah, Dwelling #889, enumerated 12 Jul 1860:
- BATHENY, Sims L.
- PANE, Joseph, 19, m, Unknown
- 1870 Federal Census, Fillmore City, Millard County, Utah, Enumerated 27 Jun 1870, Dwelling 143:
- PAINE, Joseph, 30, m, w, Farmer, 1250/1500, Eng.
- Harriet, 32, f, w, Keeping House, N.Y.
- Mary, 13, f, w, At School, Utah
- Josephine, 10, f, w, At School, Utah
- William, 7, m, w, At School, Utah
- Alice, 2, f, w, At Home, Utah
- 1880 Federal Census, Fillmore, Millard, Utah:
- PAYNE, Joseph, Head, M, W, md, 39, IL, Fa: ENG, Mo: ENG, Occ: Farmer
- Harriet, Wife, F, W, md, 45,NY, Fa: NY, Mo: NY, Occ: Keeping House
- Josephine, Dau, F, W, Single, 19, UT, Fa: IL, Mo: NY, Occ: At Home
- William P., Son, M, W, Single, 17, UT, Fa: IL, Mo: NY, Occ: Stock Tender
- Alice M., Dau, F, W, Single, 13, UT, Fa: IL, Mo: NY, Occ: At School
- Pugh, A. Mary, SDau, F, W, Single, 22, UT, Fa: IL, Mo: NY, Occ: Music Teacher
- Burial: Lichfield, Beulah Menlove. Cemetery Records, Fillmore, Millard County, Utah, p. 49:
- Name: PAYNE, Joseph
- Age at Death: 70 yrs 6 mo 13 da
- Died: 30 Mar 1911
- Buried: Block 103, Lot 3
- Reported by: