Judson Sweeting (1825-1912)
|Born:||1 Oct 1825 Onondaga Co., New York|
|Died:||19 Feb 1912 Fillmore, Utah|
|Spouse:||Cornelia Elizabeth Beagle|
|Married:||8 Mar 1849 Branch Co., Michigan|
Volney J. Sweeting|
Frank William Sweeting
The Progress-Review, Fillmore, Utah, Friday, 23 Feb 1912, p. 1:
Died, at the home of his daughter at Fillmore last Monday morning, Judson Sweeting in his 87th year. The change came not unexpected, as he had been gradually wasting away for some time, but was only confined to his bed from Thursday till Monday morning, when he drew his last breath without a struggle or sign of pain.
Judson Sweeting was born in Onondaga County, New York, October 21, 1825. When a young boy he moved with his parents to Michigan, then a new country where the family went to work, and were successful in farm and home making, and here the boy Judson grew up to manhood, and in the year 1849 married Miss Cornelia Elizabeth Beagle. To them three children were born, Volney, Josephine (now Mrs. Almon Robison) and Frank, all of whom are still living, the sons at Michigan, and the daughter at Fillmore. The wife and mother departed this life seven years ago at her home in Michigan. Both parents spent some time with their daughter here in Fillmore, during which time they became well and favorably known as very desirable members of our community.
About a year after the death of his wife, Mr. Sweeting came back to Fillmore and lived out the rest of his years at the home of his daughter, where every comfort he might wish was provided for him, as far as obtainable in this country.
Mr. Sweeting was by nature very sociable and made friends easily. A kind and loving husband and father and was very liberal minded and while he was not a member of any church, his life was much of a christian nature.
Funeral services were held over the remains in the L. D. S. Chapel on Wednesday, conducted by Bishop Brunson. J. V. Robison and F. A. Robison were the speakers. Appropriate singing and music was rendered by the choir. Invocation was offered by Christian Anderson and benediction was pronounced by Bishop Brunson.
- Name variant: Gideon [marriage record]
- Ranney, Lucretia Lyman. American Ancestry of Joseph Robison and his wife Lucretia Hancock, p. 12.
- Robison, Joleen Ashman. Almon Robison, Utah Pioneer, p. 130.
- Lichfield, Beulah Menlove. Cemetery Records, Fillmore, Millard Co., Utah, p. 68.
- Ranney, Lucretia Lyman. Joseph Robison and Conrelia [sic] Guinal or Quinell, August 1958, p. 12.
- Nicolo, Margaret LaDean Sutton Sweeting. Sweeting Family Records Binder
- Birth variant: 21 Oct 1825 [obit]
- Marriage: FHL Film #930796, Branch County, Michigan Marriage Record, #684:
- Gideon Sweeting & Cornelia E Beagle
- State of Michigan}
- County of Branch } s.s.
- This may certify that Gideon Sweeting aged 25 years of Gilead County of Branch and State of Michigan and Cornelia E Beagle aged 17 years of Bethel County of Branch and State of Michigan were this day joined together in Holy Matrimony by Jehiel Driggs, Justice of the Peace
- In presence of
- Wm. Beagle of Bethel
- Susan Beagle
- Dated at Bethel this 8th day Recorded May 25th of March 1849-- AD 1849 J. P Wright, Dept Clerk
- 1860 Federal Census, Iowa, Clinton, De Witt Township, 25 July 1860, p. 116, Dwelling #818, Family #814:
- J. Sweeting, 35 M Laborer /340 NY
- , Cornelia E., 27 F NY
- , Volney, 10 M Michigan, school in year
- , Josephine, 8 F Iowa, school in year
- , Frank, 5 M Iowa
- Williams, Frank, 25 M NY
- 1870 Federal Census, Michigan, Branch County, Gilead, 6 July 1870, p. 20, Dwelling #166, Family #167:
- Sweeting, Judson, 43, male, white, Farmer, /1500, New York
- , Cornelia, 36, female, white, Keeping House, New York
- , Volney, 20, male, white, worked on farm, Michigan, attended school in year
- , Josephine, 17, female, white, at home, Iowa, attended school in year
- , Frank, 15, male, white, at home, Iowa, attended school in year
- 1880 Federal Census, Bethel, Branch, Michigan, FHL Film 1254573, Page 464B:
- SWEETING, Judson, Head, Male, Md, White, 54, Farmer, NY, NY, PA
- , Cornelie, Wife, Female, Md, White, 48, Keeping House, NY, NY, NY
- , Frank W., Son, Male, Single, White, 23, At Home, IA, NY, NY
- JOBS, Palina, Other, Female,Single, White, 38, Servant, NY, FRAN, FRAN
- BENNY, Susan, Mother-in-Law, F, Widow, White, 66, Boarder, NY, NY, NY
- History of Branch County Michigan, p. 253:
- William Sweeting also settled in the northwest corner of the town [Gilead] that same season . His son Judson is now living in the adjoining town of Bethel. The Sweetings came from Manlius, Onondaga Co., N.Y.
- Death: State of Utah -- Department of Health, Certificate of Death:
- Place of Death: Millard County, Fillmore Village
- Full Name: Judson Sweeting
- Sex: Male
- Color: White
- Status: Widowed
- Date of Birth: Oct 1, 1825
- Age: 86 yrs. 4 mos. 19 ds.
- Occupation: Farmer
- Birthplace: New York
- Name of Father: Sweeting
- Birthplace of Father: England
- Name of Mother: Could not be given by relatives
- Birthplace of Mother:
- Informant: Josephine Robison
- Address: Fillmore, Utah
- Filed: Feb. 27, 1912
- Registrar: Alvaretta Warner
- Registrered Number: 8
- No. of burial or removal permit: 8
- Date of Death: Feb. 19, 1912
- Cause of death: Secondary anemia
- Contributory: Enlarged Prostate causing chronic cystitis, 2 yrs.
- Physician: R. B. Stevens
- Date Signed: Feb. 20, 1912
- Address: Fillmore, Utah
- Place of burial: Fillmore, Utah
- Date of burial: Feb. 21, 1912
- Undertaker: John H. Davis
- Address: Fillmore, Utah
- This is to certify that this is a true copy of the certificate on file in this office. This certified copy is issued under authority of section 26-2-22 of the Utah Code Annotated, 1953 As Amended.
- Date issued: APR 10 2000 SL 019454
- Barry E Nangle Director of Vital Records Utah Department of Health Vital Records & Statistics Salt Lake City, Utah
- Burial: Lichfield, Beulah Menlove. Cemetery Records, Fillmore, Millard County, Utah, p. 67:
- Name: SWEETING, Judson
- Born: in New York
- Age at Death: 86 yrs 4 mo 19 da
- Died: 19 Feb 1912
- Buried: in Fillmore Block 111, Lot 1
- Reported by: Josephine Robinson
- Burial: Fillmore City Corporation. Cemetery Single Line List, by Deceased Name, 22 Apr 1990 , p. 47:
- SWEETING, Judson
- BLK 111, Lot 1, Grave 1
- d. 2-19-1912
- Spouse Sealing: IGI, 1994 Edition
- Extracted marriage record for Branch County Michigan, Film #930796
- The Progress, Fillmore, Utah, Friday, 8 Jul 1938, p. 1, Obituary: Robison, Josephine Sweeting