Matilda Catherine Melching (1888-1966)
|Matilda Catherine Melching Powers|
|Born:||29 May 1888 Harbor Springs, Michigan|
|Died:||2 Dec 1966 Petoskey, Michigan|
|Father:||August Frank Melching|
|Mother:||Augusta Phenora Melching|
Augusta Christina Melching|
Henry William Melching
Emma Wilhelmine Melching
August Carl Melching
Lena F. Melching
Lillian Helen Melching
Elsie Susan Melching
Julia Anna Melching
Matilda Catherine Melching
|Spouse:||Maurice Alva Powers|
|Married:||9 Dec 1926 Petoskey, Michigan|
Matilda Catherine Melching was born on the 29th of May 1888 in Harbor Springs, Emmet, Michigan.
Matilda attended school in Harbor Springs and graduated from Harbor Springs High School in 1906.
Matilda married Maurice Alva Powers on the 9th of December 1926 in Petoskey, Emmet, Michigan.
She was the 2nd wife of Mr. Powers. She helped raise three children left by his first wife Mabel May Planck who died of pneumonia. She was a teller at Harbor Springs Bank at the time of her marriage. She lived at 436 E. Main St., Harbor Springs, Michigan.
Matilda died 2 December 1966 in Petoskey, Emmet, Michigan. She is buried in the Lakeview Cemetery, Harbor Springs, Michigan.
unnamed newspaper, December 9, 1926
Harbor Springs People Quietly
Married At Petoskey Last Thursday
Thursday evening of last week, at six o'clock, a quiet marriage ceremony took place at the Presbyterian manse, at Petoskey, when Miss Matilda C. Melching, youngest daughter of Mrs. Augusta Melching, of Harbor Springs, Michigan, was united in marriage to Maurice A. Powers, also of Harbor Springs by Rev. Carl Berger, of the First Presbyterian church of Petoskey.
Mrs. Powers attended the Harbor Springs high school, and graduated in the class of 1906. She attended the Ypsilanti State Normal and also took a business course at Ferris Institute, Big Rapids. She has been employed in the Emmet County State bank for the past twelve years as teller and completed her duties there last Friday.
Mr. Powers attended the Harbor Springs high school and in 1906 completed a course in plumbing in New York Trade school. He has been engaged in the plumbing business here almost continuously since 1908. Both are well known and prominent young people of this village, having spent most of their lives here.
Mr. and Mrs. Powers will reside here and will be at home to their many friends at the Powers residence on E. Main street. Their host of friends extend hearty congratulations.
Petoskey News-Review, Saturday, December 3, 1966:
Services for Mrs. Maurice (Matilda) Powers, 78, who died yesterday at Little Traverse Hospital, will be Monday at 2 p.m. from the Erwin Funeral Parlors, in Harbor Springs.
Rev. Donald Drew, of Harbor Springs Presbyterian Church, will officiate and burial will be in Lakeview Cemetery.
Born Matilda Melching, May 19, 1888, in Harbor Springs, she resided there all her life. She married Mr. Powers in 1927 and he died in 1943.
She was a member of the Presbyterian Church and a life-member of the Eastern Star.
Mrs. Powers is survived by two step-daughters, Mrs. Leslie (Doris) Ruddy, of Haslett and Mrs. Don (Sybil) Roth, of Beulah, a sister, Mrs. A.E. Wells, of Harbor Springs and several nieces and nephews.
Friends may call at Erwin Funeral Parlors Sunday from 7:30 p.m. until 9 p.m.
- Birth: Emmet County, Michigan, Birth Record:
- Name: Melching, Matilda Catherine
- Born: 29 MAY 1888, female, legit., white, Harbor Springs
- Parents reside: Harbor Springs
- Mother: Augusta F. Melching, b. Germany
- Father: August F. Melching, Laborer, b. Germany
- Birth: Melching Family Bible, copy given to Arnold L. Howse
- 1900 Federal Census, Little Traverse Twp., Emmet, Michigan
- Melching, August
- , Tillie, daughter, white, female, May 1888,12, single, MI, Ger, Ger, at school, 9
- Collins, Audrey Diebel, ed. Looking Back: The First Hundred Years, Harbor Springs High School Centennial, 1887-1986, p. 15:
- Class of 1906
- Marriage: Emmet County, Michigan, Vital Records Search, Marriages:
- POWERS, Maurice A. & MELCHING, Matelda C.
- Date: 12/9/1926
- Liber: 4
- Folio: 197
- 1930 Federal Census, Harbor Springs, Emmet, Michigan
- Powers, Maurice A.
- , Matilda C., wife, female, white, 41, married at 38, MI, Ger, Ger
- Death: Emmet County, Michigan, Vital Records Search Deaths:
- POWERS, Matilda
- Date: 12/2/1966
- Liber: 1966
- Folio: 247
- Place of Death: Petoskey, Michigan
- Burial: Lakeview Cemetery Index, Emmet Co., Michigan:
- POWERS, Matilda
- Date: Dec 2, 1966
- Burial: Greenwood Cemetery Index, Petoskey, Michigan:
- Powers, Matilda (Melching)(Mrs. Maurice)
- Age: 78
- Born: 5/29/1888
- Died: 12/2/1966
- Burial: 0/0/0000
- Cemetery: Lakeview, Harbor Springs
- Obituary: on file, PNR - 12/03/1966
- Howse, Joanne Marie Heinz. Howse Best-Mar26,2005.paf file:
- She was the 2nd wife of Mr. Powers, raised 3 children left by first wife who died of pneumonia. She had no children. On Oct 20, 1942 she lived at 436 E. Main St., Harbor Springs, Mich. She was a Teller at Harbor Springs Bank at the time of her marriage.