Naomi Lucille Niswander (1928-2009)
|Naomi Lucille Niswander Koteskey Barber|
|Born:||8 Jul 1928 Petoskey, Michigan|
|Died:||23 May 2009 Bay Twp., Michigan|
|Father:||Allen Raymond Niswander|
|Mother:||Nina Elizabeth Johnson|
Naomi Lucille Niswander|
|Spouse:||(1) Eugene A. Koteskey|
|Married:||21 Jun 1952 Petoskey, Michigan|
|Spouse:||(2) William Herman Barber|
|Married:||16 Jul 2004 Bay Twp., Michigan|
(July 8, 1928 - May 23, 2009)
Naomi Lucille Koteskey-Barber, 80 of Bay Township near Boyne City, Michigan, died May 23, 2009 at home, her family at her side.
Lucille was born July 8, 1928 in Petoskey, Michigan and was the daughter of Allen Raymond and Nina Elizabeth (Johnson) Niswander. She grew up in Petoskey and attended Petoskey High School graduating with the Class of 1946.
On June 21, 1952, she married Eugene A. Koteskey in Petoskey. The two shared many wonderful years and were each others best friend. Together they went about life, raising their sons and later enjoying their grandchildren. Their love affair lasted just short of 37 years when Eugene preceded her in death on May 6, 1989. On July 16, 2004 Lucille was lucky enough to find love again when she married William H. Barber in Bay Township. Their time together was short but joyful; Bill sadly preceded Lucille in death January 29, 2006.
For many years Lucille worked for Michigan Bell Telephone as an operator. She was also the bookkeeper for Koteskey Bros. Excavating and in her later years, she helped with the founding of Sim/Tech Filter, another family business. Her life revolved around her family, she was a great listener and was always willing to lend a helping hand. She was the best mom ever. As a sister, she enjoyed traveling, shopping, and dining out. There was much laughter when the five sisters were together.
Lucille enjoyed spending time with family and friends; she was an avid gardener and enjoyed canning, baking, crocheting, and knitting.
Lucille is survived by her sons, Arnold (Dee) Koteskey, Gary (Patricia) Koteskey; as well as her grandchildren, Kurt, Gregg, Matthew, Shelley, Kristina, Rebecca, Nicholas and Michael. Her sisters include Ethel (Clifton) Maves, Allene Case, Dorothy Faulkner, and Mary (James, Sr.) Galmore. Sisters in law, Evelyn Hickman, Marie (Robert) Stolt, Ida Reed and Georgia Taft; also surviving are her step-children, Cynthia Marie Couture, Tresa Cusak, Bill (Carol) Barber, Bonnie (Endo) Bannon, Pattie (Bill) Edrington, Jon Barber, James Barber, numerous step-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.
Family suggests memorials to American Heart Association or charity of choice. Visitation hours are on Wednesday, May 27, family 5 pm, public 6-8 pm.
Visitation for Lucille will be held at Stone Funeral Home on Wednesday evening from 6-8 p.m. A funeral service celebrating her life will take place on Thursday May 28th at Stone Funeral Home at 10:30 a.m. Rev. David Behling will officiate. Interment will take place in Greenwood Cemetery.
- Marriage: Charlevoix County, Michigan, Marriage Index Complete 1.pdf, p. 170:
- Bride: Niswander, Naomi Lucille
- Groom: Koteskey, Eugene A.
- Date: 6/21/1952
- Petoskey News-Review, Monday, May 8, 1989, Obituary: Koteskey, Eugene A.
- Petoskey News-Review, Friday, January 18, 1991, Obituary: Koteskey, Charles
- Marriage: Charlevoix County, Michigan, Marriage Index Complete 1.pdf, p. 344:
- Bride: Koteskey, Naomi Lucille (Niswander)
- Groom: Barber, William Herman
- Date: 7/9/2004
- Death: Social Security Death Index:
- N Lucille KOTESKEY
- Birth Date: 8 jul 1928
- Death Date: 23 May 2009
- Social Security Number: 369-28-4020
- State Where Number Was Issued: Michigan
- Death Residence Zip Code: 49712
- Localities: Boyne City, Charlevoix, Michigan
- Burial: Greenwood Cemetery Index, Petoskey, Michigan:
- Koteskey-Barber, Naomi Lucille (Niswander)
- Age: 80
- Born: 7/8/1928
- Died: 5/23/2009
- Burial: 5/28/2009
- Cemetery: Greenwood, Petoskey
- Obituary: on file, PNR - 05/26/2009
- Section: H
- Block: 163
- Lot: 11 - SW 1/4