Nathaniel Ashby Powell (1891-1896)
From Biographical Wiki
|Nathaniel Ashby Powell|
|Born:||15 Feb 1891, Fillmore, Utah|
|Died:||17 Oct 1896 Fillmore, Utah|
|Mother:||Martha Ann Truman|
John Franklin Powell|
Jesse Truman Powell
Nathaniel Ashby Powell
Little "Nat" Powell came to his death last Saturday morning at 9 o'clock by a sudden attack of membraneous croup. The little fellow had been afflicted for about two weeks with a bad cough, and the teacher sent him home from school because it was supposed he had whooping cough. He had not been confined to his bed at all, but last Friday night his condition changed and his cough developed into a serious attack of membraneous croup, and he came to his death by strangulation at 9 o'clock the next morning.
Little "Nat" and his brother, Jesse, lived with their father, John Powell, their mother having been dead some years. The father, not knowing how serious the boy's condition was, did not call any assistance until it was too late. The little fellow fought and struggled for breath, most of the night, but the father did not realize his condition. At one time in the night he annointed the boy with oil and administered to him, but without relief. If he had poured the oil in the boy's throat, which would have made him vomit, he might have been alive today, but the longer we live the less we seem to learn in some cases.
The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock.
- Black, Susan W. E. Early LDS Membership Data (Infobases, 1995)
- Day, Stella H. Builders of Early Millard, p. 569
- Rogers, Sadie, Editor. John Powell's Journal, 1849-1901. Typewritten Manuscript, 1942.
- Birth: p. 177: Martha gave birth to a son on Sunday 15th [Feb. 1891]
- Family: p. 223: Children of John and Martha Ashby Powell:
- 3. Nathaniel, born 15th Feb. 1891
- Death: p. 203: Nathaniel A. Powell died 17th Oct. 1896
- Obituary: pp. 241-243
- Burial: Lichfield, Beulah Menlove. Cemetery Records, Fillmore, Millard County, Utah, p. 53:
- Name: Powell, Nathaniel Ashby
- Born: 15 Feb 1891, Fillmore, Utah
- Son of: John Powell & Martha A.
- Died: 17 Oct 1896
- Cause: croup
- Buried: in Fillmore, Blk 105, Lot 2
- Burial: Fillmore City Corporation, Cemetery Single Line List, by Deceased Name, 22 Apr 1990, p. 38:
- POWELL, N. Ashby
- BLK 105, Lot 2, Grave 4
- d. 10-17-1896