Does this site have any advantages over Familypedia? I see no facilities for automatic linking to relatives or display of family trees here.
Steve made a quick response (on my talk page) very soon after I wrote that.
He was not terribly convincing. For example, "no funding, hence no one to create automated processes" - Familypedia has the same total lack of funding but has plenty of automated processes created almost entirely by its volunteers.
See wikia:c:family:Charlemagne/tree for an introduction to Familypedia's displays and linking.
You don't even have any organized linking of people with the same surname, though a couple of categories that could do that have been created, and one of the "Moore" ones does link such people (including one person who possibly shouldn't have a page here yet).
And you do have problems with spam/vandalism. Familypedia has very little of that because the host (Wikia, Inc) has a good wikia-wide system of blacklisting spammers and vandals.
Your only advantage seems to be less advertising. I can live with advertising.
Robin Patterson 18:02, 22 December 2011 (MST)
- Answers to your first query were posted on your discussion page the day of your post. You responded six days later.
- Ouch. Sorry, Steve, must have been a senior moment not refreshing my memory by looking at my talk page. Correction above. Robin Patterson 03:50, 24 December 2011 (MST)
- Users have the ability to create any category they desire. The spammer issue is one person and we deal with him, it keeps us connected. Thanks for your visit. Steve (talk·edits) 11:33, 23 December 2011 (MST)
- If it's one person, can't you block his IPs and/or complain to his ISP? Robin Patterson 03:50, 24 December 2011 (MST)
Now created a page for this wiki on Familypedia: wikia:c:family:Biographical Wiki. Anyone may, of course, edit it (preferably after registering).
Our purpose here is not to compete with any other genealogy site, it is simply a place for Biographies for research. There are a variety of genealogical wiki's as one can easily see from Cyndi's List. We are thankful for each and every one of them for their wealth of information. We are happy if anyone can find value in this Biographicalwiki, please continue to share the knowledge on other sites and add to our site.
Our personal spammer knows his way around the internet, and yes he is blocked every single time as you can see from the "Recent changes" page, he is nothing, if not dedicated. We appreciate his dedication to us, for no one has been as dedicated to this site, other than the admin as is he. Just think how much bigger this wiki could be if he had instead put his family pages on it. Unfortunately his creative juices don't run that direction, though they certainly do run. At this point we would be at a loss were he to leave.
Wishing him and you the best on this beautiful Christmas Eve.
- Thank you, Steve. I've now looked at the "block log" and noticed the automatic blockings reducing your work a little. Best wishes to you and yours. Robin Patterson 23:31, 25 December 2011 (MST)