William Hardin Ashby (1839-1925)
|William Hardin Ashby|
|Born:||16 Jul 1839 Salem, Massachusetts|
|Died:||19 Mar 1925 Holden, Millard, Utah|
Robert Reed Ashby|
Susan Ann Ashby
Elizabeth Rebecca Ashby
Martha Ellen Ashby
Harriet Maria Ashby
Richard H. Ashby
William Hardin Ashby
Mary Jane Ashby
Emma Smith Ashby
John Jefford Ashby
|Spouse:||(1) Nancy Maria Badger|
|Married:||14 Jan 1865 Salt Lake City, Utah|
|Spouse:||(2) Charlotta Louisa Badger|
|Married:||11 Oct 1875 Salt Lake City, Utah|
Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, p. 724:
ASHBY, WILLIAM HARDIN (son of Nathaniel Ashby, born April 15, 1805, at Salem, and Susan Hammond, born Aug. 28, 1808, Marblehead, Mass.). He was born July 16, 1839, Salem, Mass. Came to Utah Sept. 20, 1848, Brigham Young company. Married Nancy Maria Badger Jan. 14, 1865 (daughter of Rodney Badger and Nancy Garr, married March 9, 1845, Hancock county, Ill.; pioneers Oct. 2, 1847, Jedediah M. Grant company). She was born Feb. 27, 1846. Their children: William Hardin b. April 7, 1867, m. Martha Ann Stevens March 16, 1888; Maria b. Oct. 2, 1868, m. John Wood Sept. 12, 1888; Ada Jane b. Nov. 9, 1870, m. Edward A. Wood Nov. 8, 1893; Rodney Badger b. Oct. 26, 1872, m. Jane Marinda Stephenson Sept. 29, 1898; Nathaniel b. Sept. 20, 1874, m. Jean Johnson Nov., 1901; Emma Louisa b . Oct. 9, 1876, m. Simeon T. Stephenson Dec. 15, 1897; Susan b. Dec. 14, 1878, m. John Charles Bennett Sept. 18, 1901; Robert b. Dec. 29, 1880, m. Hannah Cropper June 3, 1903; Mary Edith b. March 23, 1883, m. John B. Stephenson June 13, 1906; Martha Ellen b. Feb. 26, 1885, m. Marion R. Stevens June 2, 1909; Florence b. Jan. 18, 1887; Austin Garr b. Jan. 9, 1889; Clinton b. Oct. 14, 1891. Family home Holden, Utah.
- Name variant: Uncle Bill [Holden, p. 139]
- Ashby, Robert L. Family History of William Hardin Ashby and Nancy Maria Badger Ashby, p. 188.
- Black, Susan W. E. Early LDS Membership Data (Infobases, 1995):
Comments: William Hardin came to Utah Sept. 20, 1848 with the Brigham Young company. His family home was located in Holden, Millard, Utah. While separating horses one day, William was knocked unconscious and his head was split open. He was taken care of by Ebenezer Barnes.
- Day, Stella H., ed. Builders of Early Millard, pp. 4-5, 13, 703, 770-771.
- Ashby, Robert L. Holden, Utah Early History, pp. 41, 55, 72-73, 84, 129, 137, 139, 140.
- 1860 Federal Census, Utah Territory, Great Salt Lake County, 13th Ward, Great Salt Lake City, p. #12, Dwelling #69:
- Ashby, Richard
- William, 15, m, Mass
- 1880 Federal Census, Disk 35, Fillmore, Millard, Utah, Source: FHL Film 1255336, Page 470C:
- ASHBY, William H., Head, Male, Md, W, 41, Farmer, MA, MA, MA
- Nancy M., Wife, Female, Md, W, 34, Keeping House, IL, VT, IN
- William, Son, Male, Single, W, 13, UT, MA, IL
- Nina M., Daughter, Female, Single, W, 11, At School, UT, MA, IL
- Ada J., Daughter, Female, Single, W, 9, At School, UT, MA, IL
- Rodney L., Son, Male, Single, W, 7, At School, UT, MA, IL
- Nathaniel, Son, Male, Single, W, 5, UT, MA, IL
- Emma L., Daughter, Female, Single, W, 3, UT, MA, IL
- Susan, Daughter, Female, Single, W, 1, UT, MA, IL