Nelson N. Allerding (1912-2005)
|Nelson N. Allerding|
Class of 1935
|Born:||26 Dec 1912 Harbor Springs, Michigan|
|Died:||8 Jun 2005 Little Traverse Twp., Michigan|
|Father:||Newton B. Allerding|
Gladys Irene Allerding|
Richard Joseph Allerding
Claude R. Allerding
Nelson N. Allerding
Asa Allen Allerding
Clara L. Allerding
Wayne K. Allerding
Carl P. Allerding
Alta May Allerding
|Spouse:||Bernice Mary Fosmore|
|Married:||27 Jun 1947 Emmet Co., Michigan|
Janice Lorraine Allerding|
Mary Lou Allerding
Petoskey News-Review, Friday, June 10, 2005:
Nelson N. Allerding, 92, of Harbor Springs, died peacefully at his home on June 8, 2005.
Funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday, June 15, at Main Street Baptist Church in Harbor Springs. Pastors Dennis Rew, James Sweet and Martin Siegwart will officiate. Interment will take place in the Little Traverse Township Cemetery.
Nelson was born Deb. 26, 1912, in Harbor Springs, the son of Newton and Sarah (Krause) Allerding. He attended Harbor Springs schools and graduated from Harbor Springs High School. He served in the Army during World War II and was stationed in the Pacific Theater as a mechanic.
On June 29, 1947, he married the former Bernice Fosmore and they made their home in Harbor Springs since. In 1952, Nelson attended barber school and apprenticed in Harbor Springs barber shops. He then owned and operated two barber shops in Petoskey, retiring in 1976. He later worked as a caretaker at several Roaring Brook cottages. Nelson was a member of Main Street Baptist Church and served as a deacon, trustee and youth leader for many years. He enjoyed going to hunting camp, fishing, golf, tennis and outdoor activities with church youth programs.
Nelson is survived by his daughters, Janice Shaw and husband, Gary, of Alanson, Ellen Allerding of Harbor Springs, Carolyn Peters and husband, Eugene, of St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, Nelda Allerding of Harbor Springs and Mary Lou Allerding of Harbor Springs. Also surviving are nine grandchildren and three great-grandchildren; brothers, Wayne and Carl, both of Harbor Springs; and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his brothers, Claude, Asa and Richard; and sisters, Gladys Ford Belanger and Clara Engler.
The family suggests memorial contributions be made to Hospice of Little Traverse Bay or Main Street Baptist Church.
The family will receive friends 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, June 14, at the Schiller Funeral Home in Harbor Springs.
- 1930 Federal Census, Little Traverse Twp., Emmet, Michigan
- Allerding, Newton
- , Nelson N., son, male, white, 17, single, MI, OH, MI
- Photo: Collins, Audrey Diebel, ed. Looking Back, The First Hundred Years, 1887-1986:
- Harbor Springs High School
- Class of 35
- Page 42: Senior portrait of Nelson Allerding
- Marriage: Emmet County, Michigan, Vital Records Search, Marriages:
- ALLERDING, Nelson N. & FOSEMORE, Bernice
- Date: 6/27/1947
- Liber: 5
- Folio: 4
- Petoskey News Review, February 1999, Obituary: Allerding, Hilda A. Uthe
- Death: Emmet County, Michigan, Vital Records Search, Deaths:
- Allerding, Nelson N.
- Date of Death: 6/8/2005
- Liber: 2005
- Folio: 219
- Place of Death: Little Traverse Twp., MI
- Death: Social Security Death Index:
- Allerding, Nelson
- Birth Date: 26 Dec 1912
- Death Date: 8 Jun 2005
- Social Security Number: 383-09-9025
- State Number Was Issued: Michigan
- Death Residence Zip Code: 49740
- Localities: Harbor Springs, Emmet, Michigan
- Burial: Greenwood Cemetery Index, Petoskey, Michigan:
- Allerding, Nelson N.
- Age: 92
- Birth: 12/26/1912
- Died: 06/08/2005
- Burial: 06/15/2005
- Cemetery: Lakeview, Harbor Springs
- Funeral Home: Schiller, Harbor Springs