Minnie Colegrove (1872-1948)
|Minnie Colegrove Ashby|
|Born:||25 Sep 1872 Fillmore, Utah|
|Died:||1 Dec 1948 Fillmore, Utah|
|Father:||Harley Ingersoll Colegrove|
|Mother:||Helen Venera McBride|
Lester Clark Colegrove|
Harley Eugene Colegrove
|Spouse:||Richard Truman Ashby|
|Married:||14 Nov 1894 Manti, Utah|
Martha Geneva Ashby|
Richard Eugene Ashby
Alice May Ashby
The Progress, Friday, December 10, 1948:
Mrs. Minnie Colegrove Ashby, 76, widow of Richard P. Ashby, died at her home here December 2, of the causes incident to age. She had been ill only since Thanksgiving.
She was born in Fillmore, Sept. 25, 1872, a daughter of Harley Ingersoll and Helen McBride Colegrove. She had lived here all of her life.
A faithful member of the L.D.S. church, she was a counselor in the Fillmore ward Relief Society for eleven years; and a member of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers.
She was married in the Manti L D S temple Nov. 14, 1894 to Mr. Ashby. He died Oct. 15, 1920.
Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Geneva Speakman Mrs. Fern Robison and Mrs. Alice Robison; and a son, R. Eugene Ashby, all of Fillmore; 15 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
Funeral services were conducted Saturday at 2 p.m. in the Fillmore First Ward chapel by Von Taylor, Bishop.
The service was as follows:
- Prelude and Postlude by Margie Robison
- Vocal duet, "In a Garden" by Mrs. Merle Hone and Mrs. Orpha Taylor; Margie Robison accompanist
- Prayer - T. Clark Callister
- Speaker - Rudger Ashby, a grandson
- Vocal Solo, "Perfect Day" by grandson Dan Speakman; accompanied by Darlene Robins
- Speaker - Ashby Robison, a grandson
- Piano and Organ duet, "Oh My Father" - by Margie and Helen Robison
- Speaker - Ora Hanson
- Closing remarks - Bp. Taylor
- Vocal Solo, "That Wonderful Mother of Mine" by Darlene Robins; accompanined by Carolyn Stevens
- Benediction - F. H. Partridge
- Dedicatory prayer at the grave was by Bishop Taylor
"Aunt Min" as she was affectionately known to her friends, was a dear, sweet, kindly person who received her greatest pleasure from serving others.
All of her family were present at the services except two grandsons, Doyle Robison who is serving in the Swedish Mission and Scott Speakman, who is laboring as a missionary in Kansas. Rudger Ashby had returned from his mission a few days before her death.
Out of town relatives and friends who attended the services included Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn Speakman and two daughters, who came form Texas; Mr. and Mrs. Dell Ashby and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Noble Peterson and Mr. and Mrs. Otis Walch, Delta; Mrs. Helen Derrick, Salt Lake City; Mr. and Mrs. Lyman Speakman, son and daughter, of McGill, Nevada; and Mr. Frank Robison of Logan.
Burial took place in the Fillmore cemetery under direction of the Olpin Mortuary.
By Newel Dwight Day
- Tribute to a Kind Lady
Dear Friends, I want to tell you
- Of a Lady, who to me,
Is just a little better than
- The best of folks you'll see.
She's pure execllence in the traits
- of being sweet and good and kind
And I'll venture that she's just the same
- In everybody's mind.
I've loved her since I was a kid
- For something I can't forget.
She had Alice and Mother had me,
- And in Relief Society we met.
Well, Alice had some candy
- And I think a little gum,
And because of her persuasion
- Alice finally gave me some.
Now folks, that's just a little thing
- But she touched my childish heart
And from that day on I've watched her
- And now her excellence I'll impart.
She's perfection in old fashioned kindness,
- Reverence, loyalty and honesty.
Well, I'll tell you who the lady is
- She is Minnie C. Ashby.
- Name variant: Permilla [History, p. 108; Memorial, p. 20]
- Despain, Carrie Robison and Garner, Melba Despain. History & Genealogy of the Franklin Alonzo Robison Family, p. 108.
- Record of Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Fillmore Ward, Millard Stake, 1882 - 1897, p. 29:
- Name: Minnie Colegrove
- Baptised: 3 Aug 1882, Fillmore
- Day, Stella H., ed. Builders of Early Millard, p. 135.
- LDS Family Group Record Collection [Patron Section]
- Submitted by: Mrs. Alice Robison
- Family of: Lindon Wells Robison & Alice May Ashby
- McBride, Virginia. Charles R. McBride Memorial, p. 20.
- The Progress, Friday, December 10, 1954, Obituary: Robison, Fern Ashby
- 1880 Federal Census, Utah, Millard County, Fillmore City & Precinct, Page #11, Dwelling #88, Family #99, Enumerated 8 Jun 1880:
- Colegrove, Harley
- Minnie, w, f, 7, dau., single, UT, VT, NY
- Wedding Notice: Millard County Progress, Friday, November 16, 1894, Local News Notes:
- The Clerk this week issued licences to marry to Richard T. Ashby and Minnie Colegrove, aged both 22 years and both of Fillmore city; also to G. R. Hickerson of Snake Valley, aged 23, and Miss Zettie Ramsey of Meadow, aged. 19.
- Marriage: Millard County Marriage Register, Book B, p. 55, #23:
The People of the Territory of Utah}
County of Millard}
To any person legally Authorized to solemnize marriage, Greeting:
You are hereby Authorized to Join in Holy Matrimony Mr. Richard T. Ashby, of Fillmore City, in the County of Millard, and Territory of Utah, of the age of 22 years, and Miss Minnie Colegrove, of Fillmore City, in the County of Millard, and Territory of Utah, of the age of 22 years.
Witness my hand as clerk of the Probate Court and seal the seal of said Court hereto affixed at my office in Fillmore City, in said County, this 12th day of November A. D. 1894
J. S. Giles Clerk of Probate Court
Territory of Utah, }
County of Sanpete, }
I hereby certify, that on the Fourteenth day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and ninety-four at Manti City in said County, I, undersigned, an Elder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints did join in the Holy Bands of Matrimony, according to law, Richard T. Ashby, of the County of Millard Territory of Utah, and Minnie Colegrove of the County of Millard, Territory of Utah. The nature of the ceremony was according to the rites of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was a present mutual agreement of marriage between the parties for all time.
John D. G. McAllister
We were Married as stated in this Certificate, and are now husband & wife.
Signed Richard T. Ashby Groom}
Signed Minnie Colegrove Bride}
In the presence of:
John Tuttle Witness}
Wm. B. Lowrey Witness}
- Death: Sexton's Record Fillmore City Cemetary, Book 3, p. 4, no. 27:
- Minnie C. ASHBY
- Age: 76y 2m 6d
- Born: Fillmore City
- Physician: Dean C. Evans
- Cause: Cerebral Hemorrhage
- Died: 1 Dec 1948, Fillmore
- Buried: Fillmore City Cemetary, block 100, lot 4, grave 2.
- Burial: Fillmore City Corporation, Cemetery Single Line List, by Deceased Name, 22 Apr 1990, p. 9:
- ASHBY, Minnie C.
- BLK 100, Lot 4, Grave 2
- d. 12-01-1948